Ten months. Two bags. One Fulbright grant to teach English in Venezuela. The Fulbright: a fantastic Department of State program that facilitates cultural exchange between peoples of the United States and other countries. Enter me, a grantee with freshly-printed undergraduate degrees tucked under the arm, looking to delay the real world for a year or so.


Monday, November 22, 2010

...to being conquistadora de los Teens

I just finished Day 2 of teaching my first class ever.  And I feel like I've been walloped by Hurricane TEEN.  I'm teaching the CVA's Teen Class of Module 2, a Monday and Wednesday 90-minute class that starts at 3:45.  Module 2 means that in the 8-class course, these kids cover the second two units in the 'Starter' of the Attitude series (the text that's used by CVA to teach Adults).  So this is the second English class they've had. Ever.  And thus far, they know how to basically introduce themselves, say where they're from, how to spell their names, etc.

CVA methodology requires that we speak to our students (be they in the lowest level or the highest) in English for the full 90-minutes of the class.  So at the lower levels, when they know all of about 5 words, there is a whoooole lot of miming and exaggerated acting required.  (It's not nearly as hopeless as it sounds - given the enormous number of Spanish-English cognates, the students actually do really well at grasping the gist of what's going on)

As I think I  mentioned before, CVA isn't a school - it's more of a supplementary learning center.  Adults and kids/teens attend classes before/after/during work/school.  I think a lot of my kids come to class directly from school (some are still wearing their uniforms).  Teaching a teen class (technically, ages 12-16, but most of my kids are between 12-14), provides insight into a verrrry different classroom environment.  CVA makes a point of banning cell phones in class (it's one of the rules we go through on the first day), but even then I've heard from other profes that students of all ages will just stroll out of class to answer phone calls.  Then there's the chatting.  Imagine that one reeeally talkative kid in class that always got yelled at by the teacher in class (or shamed into silence some other way).  Multiply that kid by about 10 and you've got my class.  It's something I've heard about across Latin America - that culture of everyone shutting up and listening to the profe doesn't really exist here.  Or maybe I'm just not scary enough ;-)

Anyway, throw some general teen craziness (ie lots of giggling and whispering over books) and you've got one frazzled profe.  The kids themselves are wonderful, but keeping up with 17 of them isn't easy.  Assign some in-class work and you'll find that half of them have already done it at home, so then they're tugging at me saying 'Teacher, finished, teacher!' while I'm trying to help other students (note to self: incorporate alternate activities for the Speedy Gonzalez's in the class).  To quote the teens 'Que fastidio!' (How annoying!)

That being said, I love the vast majority of my 17 kids.  They continue to wow me with their enthusiasm (even if it's somewhat misdirected) and their love of the Smartboard never ceases to amuse me...seriously let's face it: who DOESN'T love the Smartboard?!  I'm being kept on my toes for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Some of those kids sound like a certain someone I know...;)

    ReplyDelete