Ten months. Two bags. One Fulbright grant to teach English in Venezuela. The Fulbright: a fantastic Department of State program that facilitates cultural exchange between peoples of the United States and other countries. Enter me, a grantee with freshly-printed undergraduate degrees tucked under the arm, looking to delay the real world for a year or so.


Sunday, December 5, 2010

...to becoming an Oblea addict


Best. Dessert. Ever.  I've been in Caracas one month and I'm already addicted.  The flat bread is literally a larger version of 'hostia' or the Host that you get at church.  On top of it you put a little piece of heaven: arequipe.  It's like dulce de leche but better.  I would eat it by the jar if I wouldn't get judged for it.  If you want to get crazy, you can add a bit of condensed milk, or maybe some chocolate, or some peanut butter (shout-out to Olga, the last ETA to arrive, who brought me a big jar of Creamy, Reduced-Fat, Jif!).  

 Rosa and I had a Girls' Night on Friday that consisted of Oblea-making, and entirely too much Disney.*
 
*'Disney' does not refer to timeless and classic Disney movies (which I will appreciate and treasure always) - instead it refers to that horrible posse of teen sensations that seem to captivate today's kiddies.  I've had more than my fill of Justin Beiber, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, etc...



Ingredients: Hostia, Arequipe, Condensed Milk, PB
Look, it's Mickey Mouse on the Hostia!

Rosa demonstrates obla-making with condensed milk

I demonstrate oblea-eating...

Deliciousness...

Just one and a half weeks of classes to go and then we start on our almost month-long Christmas holidays.  Completely unoutdoorsy me will tango with the Amazonas as the ETAs take on their second adventure, visiting Angel Falls and then going on a six-day hike up Roraima mountain.

Then it's back to Caracas for New Year's...and birthday festivities!

On the work front, I'm going to be leading a Teens' Conversation Club in January at Las Mercedes.  Also looking at launching Movie Clubs at both Las Mercedes and El Centro.  Hmmm and maybe a Debate Club?  Let's see what happens with that one...

Okay, flaky internet means it took entirely too long to upload this post.  And in the interim, I've been staring at these pictures of oblea deliciousness...might be time for another...

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, that sounds delicious!!! And no lie, I'm a little jealous of the PB.

    and look at you, figuring out your side projects already! I'm a little nervous that mine is still unknown, but I have other things to think about before that, like where to find me some ingredients to make oblea!

    ReplyDelete