Ten months. Two bags. One Fulbright grant to teach English in Venezuela. The Fulbright: a fantastic Department of State program that facilitates cultural exchange between peoples of the United States and other countries. Enter me, a grantee with freshly-printed undergraduate degrees tucked under the arm, looking to delay the real world for a year or so.


Monday, January 31, 2011

...to becoming a real Caraqueña

January was the sort of month that fills you with warm fuzzies.  Apart from the sheer genius that was the holiday-portion of the month, getting back to the 'real' world proved to be super excellent as well.  Best categorize this mess to keep me from prattling off for pages and pages.

Work: Remember the teens nonsense?  And how I swore off young folks after that?  Well, turns out I walk in to my first day back at Las Mercedes only to find out that there are no evening adult classes (what I'd thought I was going to get) available for me to teach.  Which leaves me either kids. Or teens.  The kids' course available was a higher level (level 9 as opposed to the level 4 teens course) so I thought, aw hell, why not try something new?  First class I felt ten little tornadoes had stormed in, torn me from limb to limb, and whooshed back out again promising to see me next class.  They were completamente LOCO in the sort of way that had me panicking that I wasn't going to be able to teach them anything because I literally couldn't control them.  *angst follows.  After recovering for a day or two, I mentally slapped myself across the face, cracked the 'ol knuckles and buckled down for some serious lesson planning.  Turns out the only way to keep these kids engaged is to have them bouncing around the room for about half of class, and hop from activity to activity.  We play games, variations on ones they know, and some that I introduce them to.  I bribe them into doing their workbooks; if they work in (relative) peace, we can listen to music (cut to me sprinting to my music dealers for Selena Gomez and Justin Beiber CDs).  Last Wednesday, I discovered five minutes before the end of class that the reason an otherwise shy little girl had half the class clustered around her was NOT because she'd brought her PSP to class (which I confiscated halfway through) but because THERE WAS AN INJURED BABY BIRD UNDER HER SWEATER.  She'd found it on the street before class and couldn't bear to leave it there.  At that moment,  the kids class was TOTALLY worth it.  It's definitely the class I have to prepare the most for, but absolutely one of the most fun (in the sort of fun that borders on chaos).

Ooo, I'm teaching an adults class too, which I LOVE.  Bless adults, and the modicum of calm that they bring to the class.  Only downside; the class is at seven in the morning.  Yes, that's me getting up before six two days a week.  Is it depressing getting up before the sun?  Absolutely.  The class is great though; a low level but a relaxing change from the kids.  I was actually evaluated in this class.  Once a teacher has been around for a few months, some of the high-level instructors sit-in on classes and fill out these loooooong forms evaluating a teacher's performance.  There is no warning, they just show up about five minutes before the start with a smile and a "Hi Teacher, may I observe your class?" *cue the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.  Anyway, my evaluation came my second day with my adults class, on the VERY first day I ever had to teach a grammar lesson.  And only four of my students chose to show up that day (hasn't happened since then).  The evaluation wasn't NEARLY so bad as I thought and I got a TON of useful feedback.  The one thing that amused me was that I was informed that I rely too heavily on the deductive method of teaching as opposed to the inductive method.  I had to laugh at that; I'm absolutely the person that has zero interest in inductive learning.  Just teach me how to do something, show me once or twice, then leave me be.

Work has also been busy with the launching of movie clubs and conversation clubs at both campuses.  I've got a teens' conversation club I'm working with right now - they're in the middle of watching the movie Pay it Forward.  We'll finish the movie and discuss this Friday.  Movie club for February is also getting off the ground.  After showing Freedom Writers for a special MLK week Movie Club presentation, we're hopping straight into American culture and Black History Month.  This week on both campuses (I'm trying to show the same movie on each campus to keep it easy) is Groundhog Day followed by a presentation on the quirky American tradition that leaves Venezuelans looking at us like we're crazy :-).  Then, Glory, Pleasantville, and The Pursuit of Happyness.  Solid month. 

Oot and aboot:
Joined a dance studio.  I pay a monthly fee to get access to ten classes a month.  I've thus far taken some jazz, belly-dancing, pilates, and hip-hop classes.  Freaking sweet.  Supplementing that with a bit of running in Parque del Este on off-days and I'm slowly (and reluctantly) staying in shape.  I think I've been signed up for a 5k this weekend?
Started exploring parts of the city on weekends, just kind of hopping off at different metro stops and seeing where they take me.  I've gone running at Los Proceres (The Founding Fathers) which is basically like the US Washington Mall; smaller, of course, but equally cool and possibly one of my favorite spots in CCS.  Did a trek over to the UCV (the big university in Caracas), world famous for being named a UNESCOWorld Heritage site.  Also well known for having an excellent music/movies market on weekends ;-)
Met some very cool Marines who have been awesome enough to semi-adopt me and show me another side of Caracas nightlife.  I also got to watch my first NFL games since I came to VZ with them two weeks ago.  Super Bowl party this weekend.  And I can watch TV there. In ENGLISH. 

Anyway, the city is treating me wonderfully, and I feel like a bike that's clicked into gear.  I was definitely enjoying myself before, but I think I've finally nested a bit.  The city is spectacular and I love that it's so vibrant and so diverse.  Feeling super lucky - despite my initial reluctance - to be here! 

2 comments:

  1. 7 a.m. classes & Lianne...I laugh!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this makes me happy! I'm still waiting for Valencia to "click" for me, but I'm glad you've got ccs down!

    ReplyDelete